Thursday 5 July 2012

A Great Weekend - 10 KM walk on Saturday and 95 KM bike ride on Sunday!

10 KM Walk on Saturday
I discovered a great place in Bangalore for your Walks and Runs - something other than the usual Lalbagh. This place is called National Centre for Biological Sciences GKVK and is present adjacent to Sahakara Nagar in North Bangalore. My idea was to cover 10 KM at an average speed of 6kmph or more. I set out around 6.30AM in morning and entered this place. This is an agricultural college (popularly referred to as GKVK) and is a very large campus with lots of greenery (obviously, it was an agricultural college).

The college itself reminded of my engineering college (REC Bhopal or now MANIT, Bhopal) and also of Ammasandra (Tumkur district) where I grew up. It was a huge expanse of land interspersed with Department buildings and hostels. Anyway, I enjoyed walking in this place and also found it to be very popular among the people living around this place. If you live near Hebbal and are looking for a nice place to walk / run, you should visit this place on weekends. You will not be disappointed!

A few pictures below.




The walk stats are below:
Total Distance Covered: 10.55 KM (as per the Nokia Sports Tracker Workout)
Total Time Taken: 1hr 41min approx
Average Speed: 6.23 kmph

The location of this place is shown in the map below.


Happy with my performance.

Learnings from the Workout:
1. Carry Water, Hydrate yourself! I was feeling light headed towards the end!
2. Find great places to Walk - You cannot walk around a park for longer than 10 times - You ll get bored!

95 KM Bike Ride on Sunday
I wanted to challenge myself to do a 10 km walk on Saturday and a 100 KM bike ride on Sunday! So I set out on Sunday. Before leaving, checked the tyre pressure and then filled upto 70psi. Started off the following route: Kumaraswamy Layout -> Silkboard -> Sarjapur Road -> Sarjapur -> Attibele -> Anekal -> Bannerghatta -> Gottigere -> Anjanapura -> Konanakunte and back home. This was a nice elliptical route and I was under the impression that this will cross 100KM. So I started off around 6.20AM (after some initial workouts). My target was to have an average riding speed of 22 kmph or more.

To apply the learnings from my last ride, I carried some Electral packets. I started with good speed and reached Wipro Corporate office in about an hour. I stopped for some water break and forged ahead. I had breakfast in a cafe called Priyadarshini after Dommasandra on Sarjapur Road. I would recommend this place for your breakfast stopover. The food is tasty and the place is relatively clean.

I rode on from there. The roads were smooth with very little ups and downs. Traffic was manageable, though  it was a single lane road with on coming traffic. I was maintaining a decent speed and the electral was ensuring that I was not loosing any salts. Some pics of the ride are below.

My Ratha!!!


No Rains!!!
I started to lose speed somewhere around the 70 km mark I think. My average speed (as per my cyclocomp) was showing around 21 till about that time. Then it started fall. I guess I faced some headwinds and cross winds, but generally I should have pedaled faster I guess! I rested for a few minutes and stretched my legs on the road - providing amusement to bored highway travelers and roadside workers!

When I took this big circle and came near Konakakunte cross, I had done around 85 km and my Nokia battery was dying. I switched off the Sports Tracker App and continued on Kanakapura road to cover the 100 km mark. But my speed had fallen below 20 kmph and I knew it would very difficult to carry on and achieve my target of 22 kmph. I gave up around 95 km and retired for the day.

Ride Stats
Total Distance: 95 km
Total time: 4hr 55min (including breaks)
Average riding speed: 19.71 kmph (as per cyclocomp)
Terrain: Good Roads, with less traffic. Not much ups and downs.
Scenic Value: 3 out of 5.

At the end of the day, I had done around 15.5 kmph including breaks, and 19.7 kmph while riding.

Learnings from the ride:
1. You have to hydrate yourself and plain water is not enough! This time I was prepared and did not face any problem
2. Ride faster, keep an eye on the average speed. If you lose it, its difficult to get the average back up!

Electral: The electral sachets that I carried were immensely helpful, but I wanted to find out whats the difference between the easily available (and cheap!) Electral and Gatorade. I did some googling and found this


So, I think it is safer to carry gatorade and if you cannot find it, then have electral as a backup! I am not sure what happens if you consume more salt than required, but I guess its better I dont find out :-)

In the end, it was a bit disappointing that I did not reach the target - Guess I need to try harder ... miles to go before I sleep!

But I was happy that I could 10km walk on saturday and a 95km bike ride on Sunday! Now, I need to try harder to increase my riding average speed!

EDIT 16/7/12: Changed National Center for Biological Sciences to GKVK

4 comments:

  1. Great going Satya! Very well written and inspiring too :-) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Abhijeet!! I keep following your photographs on FB .. They are amazing ... And of course, I was recently listening to "Mujhke bhi ek tarkeeb sikhade yaar julahe" and was remembering you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Satya,
    On days where a human body undergoes lot of sweating (like the cycle rides) we lose a lot of salts. During these days, I dont think we should be taking "Daily requirement" as it is. We might need way more than the daily requirement. Any comments?

    Since the dextrose content in electral is low, I generally mix glucon-d with electral and some lime to taste. This works for me very well.

    Thanks for the experimental results.

    -Poovaiah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pooviah,
      I am not sure I can comment :-). I am just discovering. I am pretty much a novice in these matters. But thanks for the glucon-d tip. I ll try it next time.

      So you are saying that Electral is fine too, is it.
      Thanks
      Satya

      Delete